Saturday, June 7, 2014

Celebrating the 21st anniversary of my 21st birthday

So Monday is my birthday. Last year i celebrated the 21st anniversary of my 21st birthday. This Monday i will celebrate my 43rd birthday. Why the change you ask? Let me tell you....
My oldest sister, Donna, passed away when she was 42 years old, ten years ago this June 13th. i remember so much of Donna and some things i wish i could have handled differently. 
-i remember when she gave me my Holly Hobby pillow for a very long ago birthday. She had just "moved" out of the family home. And i was afraid she would forget my birthday. But nope she came by in the afternoon and gave it to me. i think a dog of hers had tried to help me open it before she could give it to me. 
-i remember when she first met my husband, Mike, before we were married. i think we had been dating a little over a year and a half at the time. We were sitting on the tailgate of his truck in my parent's yard when Donna and Olan, her husband, drove up. Donna, in her own style, asked Mike, "Who the hell are you?" 
-i remember her pictures of her adventures in life. She didn't ever hold back. She helped me more than she could have ever known. And she still does!
-i wish i had spoken to her more. 
-i wish i had asked her advice more.
-i wish i had known her for herself more than just my oldest sister. 
Both lists could go on and on but.... i will celebrate life instead. 
So if you see me Monday it will be with a smile on my face as i survived my 21st anniversary of my 21st birthday. And plan to celebrate my 43rd birthday!
i love you, Donna!!
And i plan on trying to live each day like it is my last.......DA

No comments:

Post a Comment